Founded in 1978. Manor was the first purpose-built girls' boarding house at Lancing. It was named after Lancing Manor, on which there had been a day boys' house in the 1920s. Manor was initially a girls' House in a boys' world, producing and shaping exciting generations of young women, as it still does today.
The Housemistress is Mrs Catherine Krause (teacher of English, History and Religious Studies), who lives on site with her husband, Michael. The Assistant Housemistress is Mrs Maxine Muggeridge (Learning Support Teacher).
The House Tutor team is comprised of Mr Alistair Coakes (who teaches Design & Technology), Miss Lucy Freeland (English), Miss Rosy Lawrence (Art), and Mrs Angela Tritton (Geography; Head of PSHE).
Manor House Matron is Mrs Jan Stephenson.
The House photograph above has been reproduced by kind permission of Gillman & Soame photographers and can be re-ordered by visiting www.gillmanandsoame.co.uk or telephone 01869 328200
Manor House: From the Archives...
Manor House was the first girls’ boarding house at Lancing. It was named, at the request of OLs, to perpetuate the memory of the former boys’ house of that name.
The College bought Lancing Manor from the Carr-Lloyd family in 1920. It consisted of the ancient manor house which stood where the present Lancing Leisure Centre stands, with an extensive park and access to the Downs. The old walled garden and yew trees can still be seen north of the Leisure Centre and the staff houses in Hoe Court were built round the edge of the park. With school numbers rising as Lancing recovered from the First World War, the Manor House was converted into a boarding house in 1925.
The Revd W F (Billy) Bond moved from Second’s to be the first Housemaster and ran the house with his wife. It was self-catering and the boys cycled to classes and games across the park and the 16-acre and paid £15 per annum extra for the privilege. The Revd H Lucas, who had been in News and Gibbs', took over in 1929, but with the decline in numbers following the Great Depression, the house closed in 1934. The College gave the park to the parish and in 1969 the old manor house was demolished to make way for the Leisure Centre.
By the late 1970s there were some day girls in the Sixth Form who were attached to boys’ houses. At Lancing, as at many similar schools there was then a high demand for girls’ Sixth Form places. The present Manor House was built for this purpose and began the move towards full co-education. It occupies what was literally a ‘green field site’ between the Upper Quad and the San and was named on 13 May 1978, the day of the dedication of the west wall of the Chapel and the rose window, by HRH the Prince of Wales who quipped that a girls’ house in a boys’ school would indeed be ‘manna’. The first Housemistress was Mrs Audrey Butler, later Head of Queenswood School, followed by Mrs Judy Young, Mrs Susannah Whitty and Mrs Hilary Dugdale. When Lancing went fully co-educational in 2000, Manor welcomed the first Third Form girls. In 2002 some of them moved with Mrs Dugdale to Field’s and Mrs Ann Stone took over.