Founded in 1973 as a House for Upper Sixth Form boys who were taking the Oxbridge entrance papers, Sankey’s became the girls’ day House in September 2006.
John Sankey was a pupil at Lancing between 1880 and 1885. When he left school he began a very successful career in the legal profession and eventually became Chairman of the Governing Body of Lancing. In 1929 he was appointed Lord Chancellor.
Sankey’s provides accommodation for 68 day girls, from across all five year groups. The House opens at 7.00am and is staffed until 9.15pm. Day girls are encouraged to take a full part in the life of the school, including the evening activities on offer. Boarding spaces can be arranged within the other girls’ Houses if necessary.
The House has a large common room, three bathrooms and three well-equipped kitchens. The girls share study rooms in different group sizes depending on their year group.
Sankey’s is located on the western edge of the campus, with stunning views across Shoreham Airfield to the sea on one side and up to the South Downs on the other. The House is surrounded by a lawn, and its position, slightly away from the main campus, makes it a perfect place to come back to after a busy morning / afternoon at school.
The House photograph above has been reproduced by kind permission of Gillman & Soame photographers and can be re-ordered by visiting www.gillmanandsoame.co.uk or telephone 01869 328200
||Mrs Emma Campbell
||Mrs M Brookes
||Miss Katherine Allan
||Mrs Judy Scullion
||Learning Support Coordinator
||Mr Dominic Harman
||Head of English
||Mrs Laura Fryer
||Head of French, Spanish
||Mrs Michelle (Shell) Mann
Sankey's House: From the Archives...
Sankey’s is a ‘Medway’ building constructed in 1973 on the site of one of the old epidemic wards of the Sanatorium (Health Centre). It was originally designed to allow an expansion of the Sixth Form by providing study bedrooms for those taking the ‘seventh term’ Oxbridge entry exams in the autumn term. When they left at Christmas, ex-heads of house and other deserving (or difficult!) Sixth Formers filled the places for the Lent and Summer terms. When seventh term Oxbridge ended, Sankey’s became an ‘overspill’ house for an inflated Sixth Form until balancing numbers and practical considerations (including coeducation) led to its conversion into a girls’ all-through day house in 2002. It took over the number 6 from the closed Sanderson’s. Miss Nikki Dragonetti, musician and the first female chorister of Salisbury Cathedral (with which Lancing has a long association) was appointed Housemistress. Before that the house was run by Senior Tutors, several of whom became Housemasters at Lancing or Headmasters elsewhere. The house was named after John, Viscount Sankey OL, Lord Chancellor of England, a benefactor of the College, who endowed the scholarships which bear his name, and was Chairman of the governing council in the 1930s.