Teme House was founded in 1947 when the College was reorganised to expand after the Second World War. Christopher (‘Monkey’) Chamberlin OL, who had been Housemaster of Gibbs’ (and Olds) previously, was the first Housemaster.
The Housemaster is Geography teacher James Grime. The Assistant Housemaster is Mr N Brookes (who teaches Mathematics). Mr Martin Chandler (Theatre Technical Manager) is resident House Tutor.
Teme House has an exceptional House Tutor team, comprising Miss Jenny Champ (who teaches Mathematics), Mr Sergei Drozdov (Head of Modern Foreign Languages; Head of German), Mr Chris Langworthy (Graduate Music Assistant), Mr Tim Meierdirk (Head of Design & Technology) and Mr Phil Richardson (Head of Religious Studies, and teacher of Drama and History).
All are ably looked after by our House Matron, Liz Haywood, and her team.
The House photograph above has been reproduced by kind permission of Gillman & Soame photographers and can be re-ordered by visiting www.gillmanandsoame.co.uk or telephone 01869 328200.
Teme House: From the Archives...
The Teme is the river in Shropshire to whose valley the school had been evacuated during the war. The house had originally been built in 1928 as the residence of the Head Master and based on Richard Carpenter’s original designs for a Provost’s Lodging. In June 1940, when Lancing had been requisitioned by the services, Teme House was the venue for the first meeting between General Bernard Montgomery and Winston Churchill. After the war the Old Farmhouse became the Head Master’s house, leaving room for a house of sixty boarders with a resident Housemaster, matron and tutor. Later Housemasters have been Harry Meyrick, John Higginbotham, who went on to found Leicester Grammar School, Anthony Beater and John Wilks who ran the football for many years. Among the house tutors was the Rt Revd John Inge, now Bishop of Worcester. Sir Christopher Meyer, former HM Ambassador to Washington, and the musician Corin Buckeridge were in Teme.