Website Menucontent
Close Menucontent

The Gwynne Library

The Library is a major centre for study and resources, located at the heart of the College buildings. Various newly-developed techniques for effective study and learning are taught. It is well equipped to teach Information Handling Skills and to promote independent learning.

With 12,000 resources on its computerised catalogue and 23 fully networked workstations, it is staffed by two professional Librarians. The Librarians are supported by a Library Supervisor. Student Library Assistants provide help on a daily basis and each one commits to working regularly in the Library for one year. Duke of Edinburgh Award students can work their placement year with us; and the College gap students are timetabled to assist throughout the year. These students liaise between Houses and the Library and learn the importance of consistent commitment and responsibility. The boys may wear a special tie and the girls a lapel badge.

The College encourages students of all ages to use the Library as a perfect place in which to spend study periods, as the quiet working atmosphere inspires diligent and purposeful independent learning.  We have a Seminar Room which can be booked in advance by staff or students if collaborative study is necessary, or if staff wish to speak to a group of students. This ensures the Library remains silent, which is what the students find most helpful.

The Library opens at the beginning of the school day and remains available for students until the end of Evening School at 9.00pm each weekday evening. Over the weekend the Library is open on Saturday all morning and on Sunday from 4.00pm to 6.00pm. During exam times the Sunday session is extended by two hours.  

Stock

The Library stocks a wide range of books and ebooks; magazines and periodicals (including online); DVDs and CDs for study and recreational reading or viewing. Via the College VLE (virtual learning environment) students can enter our eLibrary where there are millions of online books, journals and further academic material. We subscribe to many ebook platforms including Dawsonera, JSTOR and Questia School, giving access to millions of articles for all our students. Through our induction and continuing education programmes we provide support and guidance to students and staff to enable them to get the best out of these online resources.

The Library houses reprographic equipment including a colour A3 printer and scanner which all the students may use. There is an informal seating area where daily newspapers and magazines may be read in comfort. 

Any student or member of staff may request any book or ebook if available, via our suggestions book which can be found in the library or on the VLE. This could be for academic study or leisure reading; if the Librarian thinks it is useful and appropriate it will be bought for Library stock. In addition to a constant rolling programme of stock revision carried out by the professional Librarians, this dialogue ensures that Library stock remains fresh and of interest to the whole school community.

Comments from users of the Library include:

• "The Library not only has a huge variety of resources, but it also makes them very accessible to students."
  • "The Library keeps students really up-to-date with regular magazines and newspapers on subjects so diverse as politics, engineering and Italian."
  • "One of the best things about the Library is that it is so flexible, catering for the needs of each individual student. If there is a particular book you want, all you have to do is ask and it will be ordered in for you!"

Aims

The aims of the Gwynne Library are: 

• To support independent learning and to promote academic attainment; 
  • To maximise the effectiveness of students’ and teachers’ work through the provision and management of  resources; 
  • To provide an attractive environment for study and leisure reading.

Library Catalogue

We encourage all students to become familiar with the catalogue as it is vital to aid effective location of resources. Using this tool students can search for items, identify where they are in the library and reserve them if they wish. The catalogue includes our ebooks and a seamless link takes the student to VLeBooks, our ebook platform, where the ebook can be read online. All students, within a short time of their arrival, receive library induction where effective use of the Library is taught. 

Teaching

In the Third Form we cover the teaching of research skills within the Geography curriculum. We use a research model to teach students how to plan work effectively, locate and use resources, and to evaluate their techniques so they can learn to improve. The Librarian delivers these elements within the classroom and the Library, using IT as an integral part of the process. Students are taught the value of independent thought and encouraged to use a wide range of media. The importance of referencing their work is also taught and students are advised to use the Harvard system.

Download the Library Referencing Guide (PDF, 1.5MB)

Reading Lists and Guides

The Library publishes guides for students to help them and to inform about services we provide. In addition we highlight certain areas of stock with displays reflecting students’ interests, for example University applications, popular authors, examples of excellent work done during lessons, or the history of the College. The aim is to stimulate curiosity and support learning across all years. We provide booklists on demand covering any subject, or if a student wants to expand his or her horizons by reading fiction we can produce author lists. These we publish on the VLE for all students to access.

2016 Summer Holiday Reading - Sixth Form and Adult (PDF)

2016 Summer Holiday Reading - Young Adult (PDF)

Staff Position
S D Marchant, BA Brighton, MCLIP Librarian
H A Stevenson, BLib Wales, MCLIP Assistant Librarian
R Loftin, BA Brighton Library Supervisor
-
-
Lancing College, Lancing, West Sussex BN15 0RW | Contact | Terms