Website Menucontent
Close Menucontent

Sixth Form - International

As a well-regarded boarding school, Lancing College has a strong tradition of welcoming pupils with parents living all over the world. We have a solid boarding ethos and our pupils often comment on the diverse nature of the school and how this equips them in becoming confident, well-rounded global citizens.

We welcome international pupils to the College’s Sixth Form to complete their education. The College offers a broad range of A Level options and extensive support to pupils applying for university in the UK or overseas. We also offer guidance for those pupils wishing to take a gap year before university, or who are considering other options.

Sixth Form Choice (PDF - updated January 2017)

Sixth Form pupils take part in our recently developed ‘Leaving Lancing Programme’, which aims to prepare them with the necessary practical, social and leadership skills.

Lancing College offers a safe and caring environment where pupils are given the necessary support to excel in their academic studies, and at the same time, benefit from a wealth of co-curricular activities and over 550 acres of English countryside.

“I have gained my independence and feel academically well prepared. Lancing College has taught me to work hard and how to learn.”
International pupil from Ukraine, 2016

Applying for a place at Lancing and to study in the UK is a relatively straightforward process. The Lancing admissions team is experienced in guiding international parents and pupils through our entry requirements, from first enquiry and visit to your son’s or daughter’s arrival for their first term.

Admissions to the College are based on an examination, informal interview in person with the Registrar (or via Skype) and is subject to a satisfactory report and reference from your child’s current school.

International students who are currently studying at a UK senior school will be expected to achieve a minimum of six Bs at GCSE Level.

Excellent Academic Results

The academic team at the College works with every pupil to understand his or her interests and capabilities to ensure every child maximises their potential. You can view the College’s 2016 A Level results HERE.

Applying for a place 

The first step is to return the Registration Form together with the relevant registration fee. We also require a current reference or report from the candidate’s school and all candidates will be interviewed (this can be by Skype), prior to a place being offered.

At this point we strongly encourage parents to seek information regarding the requirements for your son/daughter to study in the UK.

The UK Government publishes some helpful advice:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/applying-for-a-uk-tier-4-student-visa

If you agree with any of the following, you will need to satisfy with Government requirements for your child to study in the UK:

• You live outside European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland and your child has been studying where you reside
  • You live outside European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland and your child has been studying within the UK (in this instance you will need to renew your Tier 4 Child Visa with Lancing as your new school).

DOWNLOAD INTERNATIONAL REGISTRATION FORM (PDF)

Registration payments can be made via Bank Transfer:

Barclays Bank, 1 Churchill Place, Canary Wharf, London E14 5HP

Payee Name: Lancing College
Sort Code: 20 - 65 - 82
Account No: 60797049
IBAN No: GB31BARC20658260797049
SWIFT Code: BARC GB 22

Note: Please use the pupil's name as a reference, to enable us to reconcile your payment with the relevant application form.

• Visiting Lancing College

Lancing hosts Open Days in the Spring and Autumn for prospective parents and pupils (link). Parents are also recommended to visit the College for a personal tour and to meet the Head Master and Registrar if they are able to. Many parents find a personal tour very helpful in understanding more about the school, meeting other International pupils and also learning more about the admissions process.

• Meeting OLs around the world

There are many former pupils (OLs) and parents around the world, many of whom would be delighted to share their experiences of Lancing. We would be pleased to put you in contact with someone you could talk to and meet.

• Competence in English

We recognise that for many of our international pupils English is not their first language, and although some English as a Foreign Language classes are available, candidates need to have a good command of the English language for their year of entry. For Sixth Form entry, the required level of English is ILELTS 5.0+.

• Entry requirements for Lancing College

If your child has not been in a UK senior school, they will need to be academically assessed and those applying for places are required to sit a computerised Cognitive Ability Test on a visit to us.

Please contact us for further details and how to apply. Offers of a place to successful candidates are generally made in December.

Alternatively candidates can also sit UKiset tests. Overseas candidates who are taking GCSE exams will need to satisfy the requirement of passing at least five GCSEs at grade B or above with at least an A in their chosen A level subjects if appropriate.

When the successful candidate is offered a place at Lancing, the payment of an Entrance Deposit of one term’s fees is required. This deposit is refunded when the pupil leaves the College.

On confirmation of an offer in December, parents are then able to apply in April of the following year for a Tier 4 (Child) student visa. The College will work with you to support you during this process.  However, we cannot take responsibility for completing your application correctly, or on time.

Entry requirements to study in the UK – Pupils from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland

All pupils are required to have a Tier 4 (Child) student visa. To apply for this parents must have:

- a confirmed offer of a place for your child from Lancing College
      - be able to prove that you have enough money to cover course fees and monthly living costs (also known as maintenance or funds)
      - a named person over 25 years who will act as legal guardian for your son or daughter
      - an up to date TB certificate (please note: this can only be taken at a Home Office approved TB testing clinic).

• Travelling to and from school

We are experienced in supporting pupils as they travel to and from the College which is well located for both Gatwick (40 minutes/45km) and Heathrow airports (75minutes/108km), and runs a regular shuttle service to the airports at the beginning and end of term and, as necessary, at half term.

• Boarding and weekends

Boarding is a way of life at Lancing College, and the House Masters and Mistresses are a focal point of support and communication for parents and pupils. Click to watch our Boarding Film.

60 per cent of pupils at Lancing are boarders which means the school is busy at weekends. 

Pupils have timetabled activities on Saturday morning and sports fixtures in the afternoon. On Sunday, the pace is more relaxed, and pupils are encouraged to take part in a range of House or College activities.

• Guardians

Every pupil requires a responsible adult over the age of 25 in the UK who will act as legal guardian. This person is a point of local contact for the school and will also care for your son or daughter on exeat weekends when the school is closed from 4.00pm Friday to 6.00pm Sunday. There are five exeat weekends every year spread across the three terms.

-
-
Lancing College, Lancing, West Sussex BN15 0RW | Contact | Terms