The Manor of Broadwater is mentioned in the Domesday Book, with the oldest part of the building dating back some 500 years.
Mr M D Neligan and the Reverend E J Burton founded Broadwater Manor in March 1930. The school opened with only five boys and slowly grew to 60 pupils in the nine years up to 1939. With the onset of war the school was evacuated to the West Country.
Mr and Mrs V P Sams took over the school in 1960. At that time, there were only 90 pupils. A year later the Headmaster became a member of the Independent Association of Preparatory Schools, which now represents over 600 preparatory schools nationwide.
The Pre-Preparatory Department began in 1968 with girls entering the school for the first time. By 1970 the school had doubled in size to 180. The school’s Golden Jubilee was celebrated in 1980 and in that same year the new Gymnasium and an extension to the Science Laboratory were completed.
The Nursery opened in 1981 and improvements to the school were further supplemented in 1984 by a new building containing four classrooms and a purpose-built Computer Room, together with an extension to the School Hall. The Toddler Department started in 1986.
Mr V P Sams retired after twenty seven years as Headmaster along with his wife who was Bursar, and Mr A Moy took over the reins as Headmaster of Broadwater Manor, which had now grown from five pupils in 1930 to just under 400.
The Diamond Jubilee of the School was celebrated in 1990. Andrew Moy said farewell in 1991, to be replaced by Mr D Telfer, who after six years moved on to a boarding prep school. In 1997 Mrs Kim Woodley took over as Headteacher, and Broadwater Manor achieved its objective of becoming once again a family run school of boys and girls aged two to 13.
Following Mrs Woodley's retirement at the end of 2013, Broadwater Manor School became Lancing College Preparatory School at Worthing, and part of the Lancing College family of schools. More details can be found here.